Can filing for bankruptcy help you keep your car? Losing your home is obviously a tragedy because it can leave you out on the street if you haven't made preparations. But, the loss of a vehicle is just as bad. If you depend on your car for work then its loss could result in you losing the ability to make money just when you need it the most.
There are two things that cause people the most stress in a bankruptcy:
- The possibility of losing your home to foreclosure
- The possibility of having your car repossessed
So, can you keep your car in a chapter 7 bankruptcy?
Yes, but you will need the help of a professional bankruptcy attorney. By filing bankruptcy you can stop car repossessions, or even have your car returned to you after being repossessed. When you work with our attorneys to file your bankruptcy petition the automatic stay is put in place immediately this stops all collection actions against you. For example creditor harassment, wage garnishments and foreclosures are also stopped by this order of relief.
A professional bankruptcy attorney can do the following for you:
- A bankruptcy attorney can fill out all of your paperwork and file it for you with the court. When this is done electronically, it can all be accomplished on the same day.
- A bankruptcy attorney can help to remind you about court dates and make sure you hit all of your deadlines on time
- A bankruptcy attorney can ensure that you pay all the applicable fees that are required
- A bankruptcy attorney can give you up to date legal advice and guide you through the complex process of filing for bankruptcy. Just having your questions answered promptly is a huge benefit for a first time filer.
- A bankruptcy attorney can act as a shield from your creditor's harassment. Once your creditors have been notified that you have retained counsel they are prevented from contacting you directly. All correspondence must past through your attorney.
- A bankruptcy attorney can help to remove liens and judgments you have against you
Keeping your vehicle by filing chapter 7 bankruptcy is possible with the help of our bankruptcy attorneys. Give us a call today to schedule a free consultation and save your car from repossession.